All HWRCs in Cornwall are remaining open. However we are operating a number plate system to protect the wellbeing of site staff and residents. Please read all of the guidance below before visiting.
There may be high demand and there are likely to be queues. We may have to ask you to come back at a later date if queues become too long. Please sort your material out at home to limit the time you have to spend on the site.
Strict social distancing measures are in place, which is limiting capacity both in terms of the items that can be accepted and the volume of visits.
What are the rules to use my HWRC?
- DO NOT visit if you have Covid-19 symptoms or should be self-isolating
- HWRCs are accepting all the different kinds of materials they normally take. HWRCs do not accept trade waste.
- We are accepting chargeable waste such as hardcore, soil, tyres, plasterboard or asbestos. Card payments only.
- Please hang onto anything that is reusable until charities are able to take them. There will be people in need of your reusable items.
- There might be queues to use the HWRCs. Some of the sites have traffic management measures in place such as changes to the route you access the sites.
- Remember to stay in your vehicle while queuing to comply with social distancing and for your own safety.
- Please follow ALL instructions given to you when you arrive at your HWRC and observe 2 metre distancing at all times. Respect your HWRC staff. They are key workers doing a difficult job at a difficult time. We will not tolerate any abuse of our staff.
- Only one person may get out of your vehicle at any one time unless you have a large/heavy item that requires two of you to move it safely from your vehicle to the HWRC container. Please let the site staff know upon entry to site.
- Please ensure you only bring waste you can move from your vehicle to the HWRC container (see also point 11). We have told our HWRC staff to follow social distancing guidelines to the letter at all times.
When can I visit my HWRC?
We are restricting when people can visit their HWRC by operating a vehicle number plate system to limit the number of people visiting each day.
You should only visit the HWRC on the corresponding day for your vehicle. If there are long queues and you try to enter the site on the wrong day, site staff may turn you away and ask you to return on the correct date. The decision made by the staff is final.
If the last digit of your vehicle number plate is even– 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 – then you should only visit a HWRC on an even date of the month, e.g. 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th etc. For example, if your number plate is RL34 JGS, the last digit is 4 – an even number – so you may visit on even dates of the month.
Even numbers include the number 0 (zero).
If the last digit of your number plate is odd – 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 – then you should only visit an HWRC on an odd date of the month, e.g. 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th etc.
If you have a personalised number plate the last digit of your number plate indicates the date you may visit the sites.
What do I do if I have a van or a trailer?
If you have a vehicle other than a car that requires a permit to access your HWRC, please display it clearly in your windscreen when you arrive at the site. If your vehicle requires a permit, but you don’t have a valid one or you don’t display it properly, you will not be allowed to use the HWRC. Please see our permit guidance.
Trailers are allowed onto the sites, but please check that your trailer complies with the vehicle permit scheme.
Cornwall’s 14 Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) are taking part in an 18 week-extended opening hours trial, starting on 07 April 2021 and until 04 August 2021. Each site below will extend their opening hours until 6.00pm every Wednesday and remain open 9am – 4pm every other week day. Tintagel will extend their opening hours until 6pm every Monday.
- Bodmin HWRC
- Bude HWRC
- Connon Bridge HWRC
- Dudnance Lane, Pool
- Falmouth and Penryn HWRC
- Helston HWRC
- Launceston HWRC
- Newquay HWRC
- St Austell HWRC
- St Erth (Hayle) HWRC
- Truro HWRC
- United Mines HWRC
- Tintagel (Bowithick) only open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 9am – 4pm. Monday 9am – 6pm (until 09 August 2021).